16. Secure attachment makes a toddler:a. willing to explore. b. self-centered.c. cling to the mother.d. want to talk a lot.
You are watching: A child fixated in the oral stage may become an adult who _____.
17. In Ainsworth”s Strange Situation test, a sign of insecure attachment might be:a. smiling at Mother when she returns to the room.b. crying and unable to be comforted when Mother returns. c. seeking contact with Mother when reunited.d. playing happily as long as Mother is present.
18. Based on the experience of the Romanian children who were institutionalized during the late twentieth century, what might be concluded about attachment?a. A person”s attachment style starts to be set by about six months of age.b. There is no sensitive period for attachment.c. No matter how impoverished an infant”s emotional environment, self-righting will protect the child from permanent psychological damage.d. As long as children are adopted by six years of age, they can overcome any emotional disability that had developed prior to that.
21. A child”s typical activity during Freud”s oral stage is:a. sucking on a pacifier. b. toilet training.c. feeling a blanket using the fingers.d. playing peek-a-boo
22. Freud claimed that during the anal stage:a. infants often find urinating and defecating to be painful. b. toilet training leads to positive mother-child interactions.c. infants strive to develop a sense of trust in the parentsd. infants find pleasure in stimulating and controlling the bowels
23. A child fixated in the oral stage may become an adult who:a. eats too much.b. is excessively neat.c. is a homosexual.d. has intense fears.
25. In Erikson”s theory, the infant”s earliest task is described as that of:a. obtaining oral gratification. b. controlling bodily functions. c. learning pain and pleasure.d. learning trust or mistrust
26. Erikson”s second stage of development is called:a. attachment versus self-awarenessb. pride versus shamec. trust versus mistrustd. autonomy versus shame and doubt
27. Which theorist laid full blame for adult failure on the shoulders of the parents?a. Eriksonb. Bronfenbrenner c. Freudd. Watson
28. This learning comes from observing others.a. Cognitiveb. Psychoanalytic c. Sociald. Developmental
29. Distal parenting tends to produce children who are:a. compliant.b. cooperative. c. clingy.d. self-aware
30. Proximal parenting tends to produce children who are:a. self-aware. b. compliant.c. selfish. d. Independent
32. A working model, according to cognitive theory:a. can be reorganized. b. is irrationalc. can never change. d. is final.
33. According to Maslow, infancy begins with which kind of needs?a. self-actualizationb. success and esteem c. love and belongingd. physiological